IMPORTANT: Upon registration you will have to VERIFY your e-mail address in order for your account to be activated. Please check your spam-folder before contacting us that you did not get the mail.

Any account not verified in 3-5 days days, will be deleted.

Once your account is activated, please post a short introduction in our "Introduce Yourself" forum.

Arma 3 Hamachi Hosting Problem

Computer issues? Problems with your drivers? or do you like to help out? Post your questions and answers here!

Moderator: TSB Senior Staff

Gygax
TSB Member
TSB Member

25 Nov 2018, 19:01

I've been having problems on Hamachi for Arma 3. Me and my friend play Zeus together on Hamachi and I would always host. But it randomly stopped working, my server wouldn't pop up in any of the server listings so my friend would be the one to host because of that. I was wondering if anyone knew this problem and has a fix for it.
BjornTHV
TSB Council
TSB Council
Twitch Stream URL: https://www.twitch.tv/bjornthv

Donators

26 Nov 2018, 09:01

Hamachi is a VPN client, VPN makes your connection secure, that is true, but it also limits bandwith.
And the extra encryption layer also puts an extra strain on your processor.
Also encryption is not flawless, any bug in the encryption can result in loss of packets and can cause the game to crash.
And since you're on a VPN, the game can't talk to the internet, so yes, it doesn't show up on any list as you're on a VPN and not on the "open" internet...

As such we advise people NEVER to use a VPN for gaming unless there are no bandwith restrictions and your computer can handle on-the-fly encryption.

Instead, temporarily open up the ports in your router to the Public Internet (or make a DMZ rule, but close it afterwards!!!!) and connect over plain internet. This is more stable and doesn't rely on extra encryption processes, bandwith restrictions and packet loss.
My Video's: Youtube - Live Streams: Twitch - Want to help me/TSB? Go here: Patreon
Gygax
TSB Member
TSB Member

26 Nov 2018, 23:20

Thanks for the reply, my mother doesn't want me to host because of trust issues with strangers. I guess Ill force my friend to use his own PC to do it.
BjornTHV
TSB Council
TSB Council
Twitch Stream URL: https://www.twitch.tv/bjornthv

Donators

27 Nov 2018, 05:37

Well if she has trust issues with strangers, it amazes me that she allows you to be on the Internet in the first place.

Hosting a game on your computer is no different than playing the game on a (public) server or website. The only difference is that your computer has some extra tasks with handling the input from the other gamers. There is no abherant security risk as the game handles all incoming requests and if someone tries to access your computer remotely, the game will not recognize the request and drop the requests.

And if you do not list your server publicly, or password-protect the session there is no immidiate risk to your computer or it's security.
My Video's: Youtube - Live Streams: Twitch - Want to help me/TSB? Go here: Patreon